Wednesday, February 6, 2013

A Day Away from Adventure

Living in Hong Kong, I have all of Asia at my fingertips, and being bitten by the wanderlust bug has proven to be my greatest blessing! Tomorrow I will embark on another journey with my family but this time to one of my bucket list destinations - India! We'll be exploring Jaipur, Agra, Delhi, and Mandawa and I couldn't be more excited.

I've been fascinated with the Indian culture ever since I had my first chicken tikka masala. The use of such vibrant colors in their food is bound to say something about their culture and I can't wait to find out for myself! I've heard amazing things about India - its use of colors being one - but I'm most excited to see the temples and what the world really looks like from the Indian's perspective.

I must admit, though, I am nervous about what/where we'll be eating. We'll be staying at decent hotels so I'm not concerned about breakfast, but I am worried about the other 2 meals of the day (and every snack in between). 
Being a major foodie has me wanting to try everything, but unfortunately I won't be able to sink my teeth into any local food due to the fact that I'm scared shitless (of being full of it!). My friends have told me stories of horrific food poisoning when they visited India and the last place I want to be is cooped up (writhing in agony) in the hotel room. From their stories, I've gathered the following tips:
  • ONLY drink and use bottled water.
    • They didn't need to stress this one too much. Thankfully, I drink a lot of water anyway and always have a bottle on me. But what completely slipped my mind was my morning routine. What about when I'm brushing my teeth? You guessed it; only use bottled water.
  • Stick to what you know.
    • Save your food curiosity for when you get home to venture into the depths of Indian cuisine. They say that anything cooked is fine to eat, but I've also heard that these seemingly delicious dishes can be potent. Pasta and sandwiches will be my best friends *sigh*.
  • Don't eat the fruit!
    • This is another contraversal one. Some say, "Yeah sure! Eat as much as you'd like!" But other say that since the fruit are grown with the local water, they're contaminated with the bacteria its infected with. To play it on the safe side, I'm skipping fruit.
Thankfully those are really the only 'big things'. Bit of a bummer about the local food but you know what, I'd rather be safe than sorry! Fortunately for us spoiled Hong Kongers, we have loads of Indian restaurants - especially in TST - so I'll be able to take notes on which dishes look delish in India and bring them back home and hunt for them in my favorite restaurants.

Besides the eating issues, I am thrilled to having this incredibly opportunity to see incredible India!

No comments:

Post a Comment